Re: [OM] Digital Range

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Range
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 12:08:45 -0300
On 4/8/01 6:52 AM, "Chris Barker" <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for that Frugal.  But do you adjust your monitor to 2.2 gamma
> prior to "fettling" them, or do you have a software gizmo to do that
> for you?

I've kept my Mac's monitor set to the default of 1.8, like the look
(especially after I calibrated it with colorsync). I know you can adjust the
gamma in photoshop, but I can't remember how. If you have newer versions of
photoshop then you also have imageready. In imageready, there's a function
to convert from Mac to PC or PC to Mac for gamma. Currently, I don't prepare
my images for the web in photoshop though, which is why I can't remember how
to do this. I adjust my tiff file scans in photoshop but then I process the
images in Linux using a Perl script. Image Magick is a handy set of graphics
tools in the Unix world and has some nice Perl hooks for it, so I can create
a single script that can chew over as many images as I want to feed it. All
of the photos on my website were created by feeding the adjusted tiff file
to this script.

The other way you could do this would be to adjust your monitor to a gamma
value of 2.2. Then, you'd just adjust the images to look good on that
display.

There are some good articles on http://www.photo.net/ that give some info
about gamma (and link to some useful resources).

--

Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx