Re: [OM] Digital Range

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Range
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 22:41:01 +0200
On 4/8/01 6:52 AM, "Chris Barker" <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Thanks for that Frugal.  But do you adjust your monitor to 2.2 gamma
 prior to "fettling" them, or do you have a software gizmo to do that
 for you?

I've kept my Mac's monitor set to the default of 1.8, like the look
(especially after I calibrated it with colorsync).

so do I...

 I know you can adjust the
gamma in photoshop, but I can't remember how.

I have just discovered that Vuescan allows you to set the scan gamma
(Mac version 7.0.1.2).  In fact Vuescan is getting really quite
useable.  It even processes a Preview while the scanner is reversing
again...

The other way you could do this would be to adjust your monitor to a gamma
value of 2.2. Then, you'd just adjust the images to look good on that
display.

what? Make my Mac look like a..... (can't say it :>)))))))

There are some good articles on http://www.photo.net/ that give some info
about gamma (and link to some useful resources).

I 'll have a look when I am back home, thanks.  I am staying during
the week in an Officers' Mess in Lincolnshire with a 6 year-old
Powerbook 5300c which is really quite slllooowww.

Chris