Re: [OM] Digital Range

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Range
From: "Andrew Dacey" <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 19:11:25 -0300
> >On 4/8/01 6:52 AM, "Chris Barker" <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have just discovered that Vuescan allows you to set the scan gamma
> (Mac version 7.0.1.2).  In fact Vuescan is getting really quite
> useable.  It even processes a Preview while the scanner is reversing
> again...

Personally, I'd adjust it after the scan and other adjustments. If you
adjust the gamma when scanning wouldn't it then seem off as far as your
monitor is concerned? Which would then mean that you'd be adjusting it to
look good based on a gamma of 1.8. I scan and then adjust so everything
looks good on my monitor (which is properly calibrated and set to a gamma of
1.8) and then convert it to a gamma of 2.2 (to look good for most surfers).
I find the value of 2.2 works well. PC monitor gamma is (of course) not
really standardised. A lot will depend on the video card and how it's been
configured (some cards will allow you to change it). Usually, it's between
2.2-2.5. So 2.2 works well. It's the average value between 1.8 and 2.5 so
it's not too far away from any gamma value.

> what? Make my Mac look like a..... (can't say it :>)))))))

Sorry, was only saying you COULD do it, not that you would :-).