Re: [OM] eSIF @ nbci R.I.P.

Subject: Re: [OM] eSIF @ nbci R.I.P.
From: rudy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Ruediger Betzold)
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 02:32:19 +0200 (MET DST)
> I don't get a lot of extra compression with .ZIP files on top of
> .PDFs.  20% may be optimistic.  How much extra compression you get depends
> on the compression methodology used in the creation of the original PDF.

hmm, have not thought about this. But you're right pdf might be already
'compressed'. I came up with compression since most of pdf files I grap
are more or less unoptimezed stored  and i do some compression
with various tools on them on a regular basis.
And my test with Hans eSIF files seems to bring acceptable results.

> IMO, changing the PDFs to ZIPs is a lot of work to compress all those files
> and change the page links for a marginal space-savings return.  I'd
> concentrate on finding a new hosting service.

changing and replacing the links from pdf to zip isn't so much work
(at least not on a Unix like system). You can make a small shell script
using some comand line based search/replace tool and start
a batch job for all html files. That's it - automagically....
Even on a WinXX or a MAC this can be done that way.

Nearly the same goes for the compression part. Building automaticaly a
filelist for all pdf files and throwing it into a tool. One file at a time.
Most 'work' has to do the computer in compressing all files.

(Hint hint I like unix systems ... can't be without them
call me a unixoholic - insert Linux/FreeBSD/NetBSD/Solaris/SunOS/or any similar)

Rudy
  Berlin/Germany