Re: [OM] uh oh, 35-80 problems

Subject: Re: [OM] uh oh, 35-80 problems
From: Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 09:05:27 +0200

Tom - I know you know your stuff, but I had a similar experience (with a
different lens) and the answer was really simple.
It only happened when I had a Cokin filter attached.  Without the Cokin adaptor
the front of the filter ring goes slightly below the front of the lens lens
body (is that clear?) and when the Cokin was on and I zoomed it pushed the
front of the lens and
changed the focus.  With screw in circular filters that are no wider than the
normal filter ring there is no problem of course.
Anyway, thought I'd throw this in just in case...
best regds
jez

Went to the zoo today with the girls (another message for later).  Tried the
new (to me) 35-80 on my OM-3.  It exhibited what I fear is a problem.

Let's say I set the zoom at 80 and focus at infinity.  As I zoom out to 35,
when it passes about 45, the focus ring moves from infinity to about 10
meters (at 35).  I didn't have enough distance to anything to see if the
horizon was still in focus, but this sort of seemed wrong.

If you have it at 35 and 10 meters, and turn the focus back to infinity, it
zooms to 45 or so.

Can someone else with a 35-80 try it and tell me what happens?
Thanks,
Tom