Re: [OM] KEH shipping WAS Vivitar 283 battery holder

Subject: Re: [OM] KEH shipping WAS Vivitar 283 battery holder
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:57:43 +0100
-----------------------------------
> > It used to be that if you complained to KEH at the time of
> > order, that they
> > would ship it without insurance or something for much less as
> > long as it was
> > under $50.00 total.

After giving up trying to obtain an affordable 'user' 42mm push on lens hood
for a Kiev 4 from the UK or Europe, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the
cheapest Contax r/finder original one that KEH had - $29. The shipping page
of their website showed an alarming minimum charge of $35 to England so I
asked if they could just put it in a padded envelope and airmail it by USPS
as I've had lots of eBay purchases sent that way with no problems. I got
this reply:

"Keith, the only shipping I have to england will be 35$ I see what you mean.
Is there any thing else that you could use? There is no way to use mail on
this rare of a pc. Do you know someone in the states I could ship it to,
that would ship it to you, cheaper?"

In other words, it's okay for *somebody else* to risk it in the mails after
KEH have received their $9.95 shipping!

I cancelled the order and then discovered, thanks to an illustration on an
eBay auction, that I have a real Contax hood already! I bought this device
for a few pence three decades ago simply because it had the Zeiss Ikon logo
on it, but I couldn't make out what it was for. It's lens hood shaped,
telescopic, and has a permanent cap at the wide end, into which a
rectangular aperture has been cut. I'd rejected the possibility of it being
a lens hood for the Contax because the whole lens rotates when focusing, but
it transpires that that's what it is alright, and that after focusing you're
supposed to rotate the hood so that a red dot is uppermost to align the
rectangular aperture with the film format.

OM content:- It would be such a good idea for lenses like Zuikos which don't
revolve during focusing.

- Keith Berry