Re: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)

Subject: Re: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 13:39:16 -0300
On 4/9/01 1:24 PM, "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Techies.  "You architect a new system for <enter department here>."

I've never heard architect used as a verb in the tech industry, maybe it
hasn't penetrated into eastern Canada yet. I've seen plenty of tech jobs
with architect as part of the title, but that's being used as a noun. Around
here, we'd use words like "design, create, implement, organize, etc" in the
context you mentioned.

However, not that I haven't seen some terrible language in corporate
environments. My personal favourite was at my old work. There was a
dress-code that said that t-shirts weren't allowed. Later, management felt
it necessary to clarify the dress code. I swear that I'm repeating this
verbatim from that memo:

"What is a t-shirt?

A t-shirt is a shirt made out of t-shirt material."

--

Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx