RE: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)

Subject: RE: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:54:08 +1000
Innocent - dammit. That's what I get for calling thee an exhibitionist? My
shorter OED (only two huge volumes) is upstairs and I can't be bothered to
check, but I don't have a problem with exhibit.
For the record, my hate terms are -
a) Momentarily used to mean "in a moment" instead of "for a moment" ("I'll
be with you momentarily" - response - "I'll need you for longer than that.")
b) 'Pressurise' used to mean 'put under external pressure' when I
understand it means to put under internal pressure. Images of a busy person
with an air hose inserted into an orifice of choice. Perhaps this one came
about because they were trying to avoid using 'pressure' as a verb? What's
wrong with "I'm under a lot of pressure today"? Last time I was
'pressurised' was during a colonoscopy.

I suggest we start using the terms Olympus and Zuiko as verbs. Any offers
as to precise meanings?
AndrewF