[OM] [OT] Another status report on the helicopter pilot

Subject: [OM] [OT] Another status report on the helicopter pilot
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 04:52:29 -0400
Peter Davies inquired of me how my son was doing (among other things) so
I thought I'd post that part of my reply to the list for those of you
following the ongoing saga.

My son continues to slowly improve and just recently had some surgery on
his shoulder which discovered some bone fragments which had been causing
him some minor but nagging pain.  In about a month he will be allowed to
fly as an "observer".  This has been a long time coming since, up until
now, the state police have had no such "light duty" job designation.
The advantages are that it gets him back into the air to see if the
residual vertigo problem is an actual problem in real and varied flight
conditions.  It also puts him back on the working payroll for another 9
months.  It's now about 18 months since the accident and he has run out
of medical leave.  He is still being paid but by virtue of accrued
vacation which doesn't have much longer to go.

Without this change in status he was facing the very real possibility of
being discharged on a disability status.  Not bad for him financially
since I think he'd still collect about 80 percent salary but definitely
not what he wants.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA