Re: [OM] Collector's Guide.

Subject: Re: [OM] Collector's Guide.
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 22:23:34 EDT
In a message dated 4/10/01 12:34:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The collector in
>  me says 'no' to a collector's guide, but the teacher in me says 'yes,'
>  find a way to spark the flame in others--and a collector's guide would be
>  one big step in that direction.

Kelton,  I agree with all of your sentiments about having all the
information and expertise out there (and right here on this list) gathered
between the covers of a new book.  Except for maybe what to call it.  How
about anything BUT a "collectors guide"?  I too, fear what a published
"collectors guide" might do to prices of equipment.

I personally would like to see the focus of any book be on the "teaching"
aspect, as opposed to collecting.  Serious collectors can and will ferret out
the information they are looking for from ANY available source, with or
without a "collectors guide".

I have been frustrated in recent years in my attempts to find books on the OM
system in camera stores, most of which carry literature for the other big
names.  So far, the old Carl Shipman book seems pretty much "it", unless
there are other titles I am unaware of (anybody?).  A new, up-to-date,
all-inclusive "guide" would be great, both for those of us already "hooked on
Olympus", and for those considering moving to an SLR system, and looking for
information, such as a beginning photography student, for example.

Just don't call it a "collectors guide".  Many potential new devotees of
Olympus might overlook such a title, or be scared off, thinking that the
system is  too old, maybe obsolete, difficult to acquire, impossible to get
parts and repairs for, etc., all of which WE know is untrue, with a few
exceptions.

Sadly, the comments I hear coming across the counter in camera stores I've
visited recently run along the lines of "Everybody's going autofocus"; and if
you inquire about Olympus OM cameras, you'll probably get something neutral
at best.  Stores aren't going to promote a system they know is no longer
supported by the manufacturer.  That fact alone will scare off many potential
newcomers to the system.  And apparently, Olympus did some stores dirty in
the recent past, which has probably left some store owners with hard feelings
(I'd like to hear more about this -- can anyone elaborate??).

Just my rambling thoughts at the moment.  Still, I hope a new, up-to-date and
comprehensive "guide" comes to fruition, in one form or another!

Rich