RE: [OM] OK, I know I am inept, but.....

Subject: RE: [OM] OK, I know I am inept, but.....
From: "M. Stephens" <mike1964@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:24:16 -0500
Tom:

Here's a basic soldering guide:
http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderfaq.htm#volts

Hope this helps.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Tom Scales
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 10:08 PM
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [OM] OK, I know I am inept, but.....

You see, I finally decided to spend an evening soldering.....

I have the 1/3 AA Sanyos, a torn apart Control Pack 1, a low wattage
soldering iron, some small guage copper wire and some solder.

Sounds easy.

It's not.

The tabs on the batteries will NOT solder.  No matter what.  No way. No how.

What am I doing wrong?  I'm clueless at this; haven't soldered in 25 years.
Wasn't much good then either.

I'm hesitant to heat up the tabs too much, for fear of damaging the
batteries (which I might have already done).  I'm trying to solder together
the batteries in the wierd 5/6/1 pattern that is required and the solder
joint keeps breaking...and breaking...and breaking.

My wife is tired of my liberal profanities.

I've made progress and can probably stumble my way through it, but is there
a magic formula I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
the inept solderer.