Re: [OM] OK, I know I am inept, but.....

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, I know I am inept, but.....
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 06:56:11 -0500
Yeah, that's my problem.  Blobs.

I'll clean and I'll heat and see what happens.  I finally figured a trick
that seems to be working well.  I heat the tab (well), and lay a small layer
of solder on it.  Then I clamp the wire on top of the layer (with a little
heat sink), reheat and add a touch of solder on top. That seems to work.
I'll add the idea of roughing up the surface of the tab (ain't Dremels
handy).

Thanks to all who wrote.  The outpouring of suggestions was amazing.

Tom

> >Tom,
> >
> >is the solder blobbing or is it spreading out?
> >
> >if it's blobbing, it's unlikely the tab is hot enough.
>
> The primary rule about soldering is that the parts to be joined must be
> CLEAN. As in no oxide layer! As in abrade the surfaces with a 3M abrasive
pad
> or equivalent before attempting to solder! CLEAN! CLEAN! CLEAN! CLEAN!
CLEAN!