Re: [OM] OK, I know I am inept, but.....

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, I know I am inept, but.....
From: Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:11:54 +0200

Yes, the surfaces to be soldered must be clean, but maybe you're not inept
after all, just unlucky!
You can also have problems if the metal is not meant to be soldered - often
rechargeables have stainless steel (or similar) tags that are intended to be
spot welded...  In this case you'll see the solder form into a nice spherical
glob that doesn't "wet"
the tag at all.  There's no simple answer, but you can try making a good
mechanical joint between tags (crimp) and then try to get a solder blob to flow
around the crimped tags enough so it holds the mechanical contact together.
You could also use some
conductive epoxy (silver loaded - sold to repair heated rear screens in cars).
You probably wish you never started, but I'm sure you'll get it fixed in the
end - and with luck your only problems are the iron temperature and clean
surfaces.

best regds
Jez