Re: [OM] Modern OM Guide: A Cooperative Effort?

Subject: Re: [OM] Modern OM Guide: A Cooperative Effort?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:13:11 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, JOHN SCHEUERER wrote:

> Hi Kelton,
> I think that SEVERAL BOOKS on subjects related to Olympus could be written
> with the input the members of this group have given over the years.

Definitely. This group of photog's is an amazing source of information -
valueable information. However I also think that a condensated version of
the most valueable information, speckled with a bunch of nice photos and
in a nice binding would make a very good item for my xmas wish-list
(*insert warm, fuzzy feeling inside belly here*)

> I got
> into the Olympus system specificly because of the support this group gives
> to each other and I have COMPLETE confidence in it even though it is an
> older and maybe as some of us say,[dying breed] and almost disowned by the
> Olympus Corporation.Strange,but when I need input on anything related the
> system,I come here and NOT to the Olympus Corporation.
>
>                     John
>                             P.S.  Maybe we should buy the rights from
> Olympus to manufacture the cameras ourselves! [grin]

Actually - on that thread. I am toying with the idea of building a
large-format camera myself. I haven't gotten any further than on the
idea-level, and I probably need to get in touch with someone with special
equipment for working in metals...but it is definitely an interresting
topic.

I do not know, but I don't think there would be anything preventing you
from making SCHEUERER cameras which have an OM-mount? Would there? ;)

> Like I said, all the brain power we need is right here, on the list! And
> we have one other thing that a lot of online communities don't have: a
> tight-knit, cooperative, sharing culture.

Well, that helps, but is not a requirement. In many situations (I've seen
a few) there is strong competition between the authors of different
chapters in such a collective work. To the extend, even, where the term
"religious war" would be appropriate. In that end, it all ends up with the
skills of the managing editor to make something coherent and good. Quite
often it works well, despite all odds.

--thomas

> I think a cooperative effort
> like this would be difficult for most online communities, but perhaps not
> for this one. I think it could happen. We could architect this thing!
>

> >From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >To: "Olympus List" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >Subject: [OM] Modern OM Guide: A Cooperative Effort?
> >Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:13:45 -0700