Sv: [OM] 85/2: a good buy?

Subject: Sv: [OM] 85/2: a good buy?
From: "Bernd Moeller" <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:25:18 +0200
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the valuable information.

> Of course, mine has been through a war.  Having a 90mm f/2, mine simply
> serves as a poster child for the effects of fungus removal.

I think that the effect of fungus is hard to evaluate. Can one be so sure that
the fungus has eaten the coating?

But you are wrong when it comes to the seller. This 85/2 is not for sale in the
US and the seller does not use the X+/- or KEH rating.

> There is probably too much lack of knowledge on the part of buyers to
> result in meaningful price differences between the versions of this
> lens. Likewise a lack of knowledge by sellers to fully identify these,
> which would aid in appraising them. The one you are probably looking at
> is in 9+ (KEH=Ex+) condition - not "Mint" as claimed. Most would agree
> it should have said "Minty." (KEH would never assign a LN- to this. Who
> ever got a LN- lens from KEH that showed wear? Which is why I go one
> step down. YMMV.). A 9+ SC comparable recently sold for $280.  There
> have been many examples of SC's selling for more than MC's, for the same
> condition grade.  Go figure.

The one I found is in heavily used condition, although the pictures do not
reveal any damages or so. If the price does not go above, let's say 150 $, I'll
try to get it.

> Knowing that the seller has been a OM List subscriber, I do applaud the
> full disclose pictures. Also, my statement on knowledge levels of buyers
> and sellers regarding the 85mm f/2 isn't directed at ANYONE personally.
> It is just one of those little known areas of Zuikology. Anyone ready
> for multicoating technique/color variations in this lens?  :-)

I don't whether he/she is a former list member. He's selling more Min*lta than
OM gear. But why not? Let's see.

I'll calm down for Eastern and watch the thing!

Best regards,

Bernd