Re: Sv: [OM] 85/2: a good buy?

Subject: Re: Sv: [OM] 85/2: a good buy?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:31:27 +0200 (CEST)
Bernd,

I will be comming around Aalborg soon (about the 18th or so). If you are
interrested in seeing a sample of this lens, I could bring mine around (I
probably would do so anyways). I dunno if you've seen the lens allready
(if the seller is local or you are buying on-line somehow)

Let me know, ok?

--thomas

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Bernd Moeller wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> Thanks for the valuable information.
>
> > Of course, mine has been through a war.  Having a 90mm f/2, mine simply
> > serves as a poster child for the effects of fungus removal.
>
> I think that the effect of fungus is hard to evaluate. Can one be so sure
> that the fungus has eaten the coating?
>
> But you are wrong when it comes to the seller. This 85/2 is not for sale in
> the US and the seller does not use the X+/- or KEH rating.
>
> > There is probably too much lack of knowledge on the part of buyers to
> > result in meaningful price differences between the versions of this
> > lens. Likewise a lack of knowledge by sellers to fully identify these,
> > which would aid in appraising them. The one you are probably looking at
> > is in 9+ (KEH=Ex+) condition - not "Mint" as claimed. Most would agree
> > it should have said "Minty." (KEH would never assign a LN- to this. Who
> > ever got a LN- lens from KEH that showed wear? Which is why I go one
> > step down. YMMV.). A 9+ SC comparable recently sold for $280.  There
> > have been many examples of SC's selling for more than MC's, for the same
> > condition grade.  Go figure.
>
> The one I found is in heavily used condition, although the pictures do not
> reveal any damages or so. If the price does not go above, let's say 150 $,
> I'll try to get it.
>
> > Knowing that the seller has been a OM List subscriber, I do applaud the
> > full disclose pictures. Also, my statement on knowledge levels of buyers
> > and sellers regarding the 85mm f/2 isn't directed at ANYONE personally.
> > It is just one of those little known areas of Zuikology. Anyone ready
> > for multicoating technique/color variations in this lens?  :-)
>
> I don't whether he/she is a former list member. He's selling more Min*lta
> than OM gear. But why not? Let's see.
>
> I'll calm down for Eastern and watch the thing!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bernd

Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen