[OM] Olympus XA-2 problem

Subject: [OM] Olympus XA-2 problem
From: Frank Sweeting <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 20:17:10 +0100
Hi everyone
         Does anyone have knowledge of the Oly  XA2
         I have one bought as not functional.

         This is a synopsis of the fault(s)

         Battery test OK Red LED lights
         Self timer functions & Red LED light flashes
         Flash setting switch  set away from Flash ( the arrow pointing to
flash shows)  This  switch seems not to want to move towards  the blue FLASH
lettering with the force I'm  willing to use (do they stick?)
         Opening clamshell shows a lit green LED at bottom right hand of
finder image
         It looks as if a rectangular signal is out in front of the finder
lightning bolt on the left hand side of viewfinder
         Shutter fires - sounds like 2 seconds, looks like diaphragm fully
open
         Film counter not advancing
         The "shutter" over CdS(?) cell can be seen to open & shut with
operation of ASA film  speed setting lever
         NOW
         if I open the back & repeat the above ie open the clam shell fully,
the same thing  happens (2 seconds wide open aperture)
         BUT if I open the back & leave the clam shell closed, the shutter
fires apparently normally
         I can open the clam shell to any point before the green LED lights
& still the shutter  seems to fire normally
         It isn't obvious the shutter programme changes when adjusting from
25 to 800 ASA

         Any advice/clues/repair info??

         Thanks in advance for any advice
         Regards Frank