Re: [OM] Olympus XA-2 problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus XA-2 problem
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:20:24 -0500

Frank Sweeting wrote:

>          This is a synopsis of the fault(s)
>
>          Battery test OK Red LED lights
>          Self timer functions & Red LED light flashes
>          Flash setting switch  set away from Flash ( the arrow pointing to
> flash shows)  This  switch seems not to want to move towards  the blue FLASH
> lettering with the force I'm  willing to use (do they stick?)

The XA-2 won't/shouldn't set flash mode unless a flash is attached....

>          Opening clamshell shows a lit green LED at bottom right hand of
> finder image

This is the "slow speed" indicator -- should go off in bright light, or when the
camera is in flash mode....

>          It looks as if a rectangular signal is out in front of the finder
> lightning bolt on the left hand side of viewfinder

When set in flash mode, the flag moves aside to reveal the flash mode
indicator....

>          Shutter fires - sounds like 2 seconds, looks like diaphragm fully
> open

Is this with the back closed, and the clam-shell open, camera in bright light?
If so, sounds like a bad cell.  The original cells are not available (except
used), but it's possible to replace them with the cell from an XA-3....

>          Film counter not advancing

The back has to be closed, of course.  If it still doesn't work, it could be
that the thumbwheel assembly has broken loose (the body breaks where the screw
goes).  Can be fixed with JBWeld ;^)....

>          The "shutter" over CdS(?) cell can be seen to open & shut with
> operation of ASA film  speed setting lever

That's the aperture, not the shutter blades....

>          NOW
>          if I open the back & repeat the above ie open the clam shell fully,
> the same thing  happens (2 seconds wide open aperture)
>          BUT if I open the back & leave the clam shell closed, the shutter
> fires apparently normally
>          I can open the clam shell to any point before the green LED lights
> & still the shutter  seems to fire normally
>          It isn't obvious the shutter programme changes when adjusting from
> 25 to 800 ASA

Opening the back sets the camera for "film loading" -- high speeds to make
mode....