Re: [OM] Shipping from US to Canada

Subject: Re: [OM] Shipping from US to Canada
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:22:28 -0700
At 01:00 PM 4/12/01 -0300, Andrew wrote:
>This is probably something other Canuck members have dealt with, receiving
>gear from the States.
>
>I won an auction for some macro flash gear (T-10, T-28, T Power Control) and
>the package arrived today. As soon as it arrived, they wanted a pretty hefty
>sum of money. I asked them what it was for (since I'd already paid in full
>for the gear). A small (but seems too high) chunk of that charge was the
>customs fee. I'm not going to even try to challenge that one. The other fee
>was good old HST (15 0n NS). So here's a couple questions:

Andrew,

You've discovered the joys of cross border shopping and the power of
Revenue Canada - unfortunately they have been busy closing all loopholes
and know only too well about eBay. Occasionaly, with a cooperative shipper
and smaller items you get lucky and they miss - but even that is becoming
rarer and rarer as they "tighten up".

On a side note, even the banks are getting into the act. Used to be that
IMOs were included in the basic packages. That is now all gone as the banks
discovered they were issuing more and more money orders in US funds - they
even know its eBay. Now you have to take the premium packages (at premium
prices) or pay for the individual MOs.

Barry H