Re: [OM] OM Guide: We Need an Editor First!

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Guide: We Need an Editor First!
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:03:26 -0500
Through my work, I have experience as a writer (mostly in-house technical
journals) and experience as a proof-reader too. I would be willing to be a
proof-reader too.

Honestly, though, I don't think we can ask anyone to be the overall 'project
manager'.  Nor do I think we have to.  I believe that if we had a 'core
team' of people with the right assignments, and a reasonable project plan on
the site, then we could work towards deadlines.  Some of those assignments
would include finding a publisher, etc.  Different players could take
different levels of roles, some more limited and lower priority (the time
permits roles) and some more key and time-sensitive (the gotta do it by the
deadline roles).

Keeping a schedule would be pretty straight-forward, just a spreadsheet
would work.

I'm willing to volunteer to be the keeper of the timeline spreadsheet. I
will also volunteer to be the keeper of the 'master content', meaning
provide password-protected FTP space for everyone to share their work in
progress.  I can keep it backed up onto another machine, but that is in the
same house, so someone should volunteer to be the mirror site. I'd hate to
see our work go up in smoke (well, I'd hate to see my house go up in smoke
too).

I think we should also setup another list, probably on yahoogroups, for the
discussion of the work in progress.  Not everyone on this list would be
interested in the operational discussions of the book.  We'd want it to be a
closed list (i.e. you'd have to know about it from this list to join) rather
than fully public. That's not to discourage everyone from participating,
just to keep out the 'rest of the world'.  Everyone would here would be
welcome.  I would also volunteer to setup that group and 'moderate it'
(somebody has to do the adminstrative stuff on a list -- and I'm the 'junior
moderator' of my wife's list, so I know yahoogroups really well).

Let me know how this sounds.  Kelton already has a start on the table of
contents.  Someone else should probably step-up for the first cut at the
task list (anyone with publishing experience?).

Thoughts?

Tom