Re: [OM] 85mm/2 as macro?

Subject: Re: [OM] 85mm/2 as macro?
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:15:31 +0800

"John A. Lind" wrote:

> Hmmmm . . . better late than never.  Just noticed this posting.
>
> Just did some macros using the 85/2 with a Vivitar 36mm Auto Tube (AT-21
> set) plus some additional extension from the focus ring . . . which would
> be about a 1:2 magnification and the longest extension used with it to
> date.  The DOF was narrow; very, very narrow with the lens wide open.  Shot
> most of the images at f/11 and f/8, with a couple at f/5.6 and one at
> f/4.  I don't expect the one at f/4 to turn out very well (DOF too
> narrow).  Used the DOF preview to look at it with each aperture, but it's
> hard to tell for certain (1-13 screen in an OM-2S) which is why I bracketed
> aperture settings so heavily.
>
> I will post the results of using the 85/2 with this much extension when I
> get the Kodachromes back and project them to at least 16x20 on a very
> smooth flat white panel (from the front of an old dishwasher) using a
> Schneider Prolux lens.
>
> -- John

My Leica Colorplan does not project well with small image, they start
to look fine at 60 inch and become excellent at 100 inch. I found it
out when I tried to project a test pattern shot with 50/3.5, the
details does not come out well even at 60 inch (of course I get close
to look at it and focus specially at the point I need to examine). But
I have no experience on Schneider Prolux. Of course the best way is to
use a microscope if you really want to see the de...tails.

C.H.Ling