Re: [OM] 85mm/2 as macro?

Subject: Re: [OM] 85mm/2 as macro?
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 21:40:13 -0700
> Just did some macros using the 85/2 with a Vivitar 36mm Auto Tube (AT-21
> set) plus some additional extension from the focus ring . . . which would
> be about a 1:2 magnification and the longest extension used with it to
> date.  The DOF was narrow; very, very narrow with the lens wide open.  Shot
> most of the images at f/11 and f/8, with a couple at f/5.6 and one at
> f/4.  I don't expect the one at f/4 to turn out very well (DOF too
> narrow).  Used the DOF preview to look at it with each aperture, but it's
> hard to tell for certain (1-13 screen in an OM-2S) which is why I bracketed
> aperture settings so heavily.

I've also been trying the 85/2 with tubes on an OM2sp in the last few
days. I just installed the 2-4 screen and it made all the difference in
the world, I could actually see! I've used the 14mm tube and find the
range that I can focus in to be very narrow. It's easier to set the DOF
and then move the camera back and forth to focus. This is much different
than using the 50/3.5 where I frame the subject and then focus. I just
sent a roll off so we'll see how it turned out in a few days. In the
meantime I'm going to experiment with a 7mm tube on the 85/2

Mike