Re: [OM] Collector guides

Subject: Re: [OM] Collector guides
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:26:17 -0700
Tom writes:

<< OK, but I still don't know what i am looking for.  Color of the
reflections? I still don't know how to properly tell. >>

Which is exactly why different people can't report what their lens looks
like. They have no reference point.  But, you have two and see a
difference.  With three (see previous posting) you might see a distinct
third type. Which is valuable info when coupled with a serial number.
And that is just the MC variations.  There might be variations within
the SC ones, too.

I have in hand a radioactive 50mm f/1.4 SC retired by the Metro Police
here and your non-radioactive SC.  They have rather identical coating
and an almost indistinct yellow cast to the radioactive one. I don't see
how someone would ever be able to look at their single 50mm f/1.4 SC and
know the difference.  At least until it is correlated with a serial
number break.  That is the point we're at with this stuff.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV