Re: [OM] OM Guide: We Need an Editor First!

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Guide: We Need an Editor First!
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:23:13 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Tom Scales wrote:

> Through my work, I have experience as a writer (mostly in-house technical
> journals) and experience as a proof-reader too. I would be willing to be a
> proof-reader too.
>
> Honestly, though, I don't think we can ask anyone to be the overall 'project
> manager'.  Nor do I think we have to.  I believe that if we had a 'core
> team' of people with the right assignments, and a reasonable project plan on
> the site, then we could work towards deadlines.  Some of those assignments
> would include finding a publisher, etc.  Different players could take
> different levels of roles, some more limited and lower priority (the time
> permits roles) and some more key and time-sensitive (the gotta do it by the
> deadline roles).

In my experience from such editorial work (although this is talking
"large" publications), the best structure is a small board of "manageing
editors", not exceeding 3 individuals. These are the "final say" on the
book. Different parts of the book (think f.eks. "technique" as a part - a
collection of chapters") are managed by an "area editor", who coordinates
the work of the "contributers" (typically 1-4) who write chapters. This,
complemented by a LARGE peer-review committee and a mind open to changes
(if necessary, enforced by the area editors or managing editors) seems to
work well.

I've been part of writings, where a more "collective" editing-effort was
undertaken. While the process lasted longer (and ended up with people
becomming personal enemies), the published outcome was not particulary
good.

I am all in favor of a hirachy to be in place.

> Keeping a schedule would be pretty straight-forward, just a spreadsheet
> would work.
>
> I'm willing to volunteer to be the keeper of the timeline spreadsheet. I
> will also volunteer to be the keeper of the 'master content', meaning
> provide password-protected FTP space for everyone to share their work in
> progress.  I can keep it backed up onto another machine, but that is in the
> same house, so someone should volunteer to be the mirror site. I'd hate to
> see our work go up in smoke (well, I'd hate to see my house go up in smoke
> too).

Ok. I'd reccomend setting up a real versioning control system. It is often
of great value to be able to roll back to a previous version - or at least
to keep track of changes. I'd reccomend CVS for this purpose, and I would
be happy to support that (both through setting up a CVS-server, supporting
their usage and hosting one of the replicas hereof)

Using "just" an FTP-area seems, in the beginning, as a good idea. However
in the end it always end up in some sort of mess. Even when just writing
simple papers for publishing, my coworkers and I find CVS to be much
easier than e.g. just FTPing. If for no other reason than that it is
possible to keep track of changes and roll back to previous versions.

<SNIP>

> Let me know how this sounds.  Kelton already has a start on the table of
> contents.  Someone else should probably step-up for the first cut at the
> task list (anyone with publishing experience?).

AFAIK we're several people from the academic community lurking
around here (I know that at least Garry and Kelton is...). I assume that
most - if not all? - in academia have some publishing experience, even
from this type of projects (multi-author, sectioned books). The question,
though, is: do anyone have editorial experience....?

--thomas

> Thoughts?
>
> Tom
>
> > Hi Kelton,
> > I think an interesting topic to cover in the proposed "Technique" section
> > would be the various ways of using the spot metering capabilities of the
> > 3-4x.  Several questions have been asked on this subject, and there seem
> > be several approaches that have been suggested.  It is certainly a unique
> > feature and a prime selling point.
> > On another subject, I'd have no idea how to edit such a project, but I
> have
> > extensive experience as a proofreader.  I wouldn't want to tackle the
> whole
> > thing by myself, but I wouldn't mind being one of several.  It's early for
> > this kind of decision, I know.  Just thought I'd mention it.
> > JohnP

Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)