Re: [OM] Modern OM Guide: A Cooperative Effort?

Subject: Re: [OM] Modern OM Guide: A Cooperative Effort?
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 08:55:18 -0700
Mike B. writes:

<< You get my vote for Editor, even if it sounds like you would be a
nuts to accept. >>

Not when you know how fulfilling it is to complete a project you can
passionately pursue.  Plus I face the same creation, production and
distribution issues with a price guide.  So why duplicate effort and
research?

At some point the discussion will have to move to a less public forum,
as Tom Scales kindly offered to set up. The major contributors here are
as altruistic a bunch of folks as can be found anywhere.  But once folks
pipe up with their ideas, the distillation and execution of those ideas
has to become more private. There are many wannabe authors we don't
necessarily know about who would love to know what they might face in a
competing publication.  I have no doubts a collaborative book idea is
stepping on some toes and we don't hear the ouch to be able to
apologize. That said, it's a fine idea on its merits and now is the time
to keep the topic ideas flowing and the offers of assistance at any
level. And the OM List is still the place.

It is easy to think that what we have done in group efforts over the
last years are unique and innovative.  Truth is that some of the data
might have been compiled privately before we ever did it, or that others
has quietly followed in our footsteps and taken it way beyond where we
left it.  If it seems I talk in riddles on this, it's because I'm bound
to promises of non-disclosure.  Ethically, you can't view someone's
research data or information (or photos and product descriptions to use
an eBay analogy) and then turn around and use it without permission or
collaboration or formal release.  The best thing that can happen is to
embrace them as the experts on it!  And without much of this
information, an OM System  book would be much less than what it could
be.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV