Re: [OM] Collectors' Guide

Subject: Re: [OM] Collectors' Guide
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 13:45:25 -0600
*Ahem*.

Might I suggest an alternative to finding a publisher for the first go-round?

Let's self-publish.  All the tools exist (Hell, they're all on my workstation
in my office), and having a completed project would probably be of more
interest to any potential publisher than a presentation of ideas -- in much the
same way a brand-new fiction writer, with no reputation, would be better to
have a completed manuscript ready than to march into a meeting with a publisher
armed only with his/her ideas and a 5,000-word story outline (some don't even
do that).

If we can't ever find a publisher, we *still* have the self-published
manuscript, and can sell it through any alternate channels we wish and can find
or create.  CD-ROM, subscription-only website, .PDF manuscript, low-volume
"vanity" publishing, the possibilities go on and on...

And the other benefit to this?  The work actually gets done, because we aren't
waiting with bated breath to see whether some publisher likes our idea enough
to actually spur us on to work.  "Just Do It" is Nike's motto -- if we're
serious, let's make it ours as well, and worry about finding a publisher after
it's complete.

Garth