Re: [OM] wanted: scanning lesson 101

Subject: Re: [OM] wanted: scanning lesson 101
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 09:39:48 -0500
If I haven't done a good job of keeping the slides clean in the first place, I use only canned air. Occasionally a camel hair brush loosens some boogers that the air won't, but I then follow by air once again. Other than that, it's a matter of spotting in the software. You learn how important some images are to you.

Color balance can be tough with some images. Like others, I recommend VueScan. I cycle prayerfully through color options "None, Neutral, White Balance, Auto Points" and usually select one of these with satisfaction. But occasionally you will get an image which doesn't have a good white in it and the color is just a muddle. I have a PS plugin called Test Strip which allows you to see the effect of different color balance tweaks. This has been useful in its own right and has also improved my ability to diagnose color balance problems. Even with more advanced color management tools now available, Test Strip is still essential to me.

Joel W.

I'm trying to scan an image with a film scanner (scanwit 2720s). I seem
to have two problems:

a) Colour balance
b) dust dust dust