[OM] eSIF reincarnation on N*BCi

Subject: [OM] eSIF reincarnation on N*BCi
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:20:13 +0200
I've created a new semi-mirror of the eSIF on N*BCi, using a new account.

I've given up hopes that my old account veluwen will be restored. My
conversation with their "help"desk has moved into circles. The last thing I
reported to the list is that they admitted that they may have made a mistake,
that the account would be restored, that this would take several days (yeah
right), that the content was already "purged" (deleted), and that if the account
was not reactivated by friday the 13th (!) I should email them. So I did when it
still was blocked, and guess what reply I got? The very same as their initial
response, that contents on my site may have been in violation with their Terms
Of Service (TOS), and if I thought that was a mistake I should reply.

I really don't want to spend any more time communicating with a bunch of morons
who don't even have the politeness to inform me what the exact nature of the
problem was, so I decided that creating a new account would be much quicker. If
I ever regain the old one, which I don't expect, I'll upload all the files there
too.

My best guess about the true reason why the account was deleted is not that
there were any copyright problems, and neither the fact that using the little
_XMCM trick disables the N*BCi banner (there are lots of sites who use this),
but rather the fact that, although their TOS don't mention any data limit, the
site was generating too much traffic, caused by the data sharks who just could
not wait for the cd but had to have the complete site, all 250MB of it (and
probably with the additional 108MB of my portfolio, which was directly linked to
it) on their local hd. As if they were afraid that the eSIF would disappear in
the future they've been creating a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I also suspect that N*BCi is suffering from major storage and data traffic
capacity problems; their status page has been reporting "Member Web Site
Servers: Some member services may be experiencing difficulties" for some weeks
now. So deleting some of the biggest sites without any prior warning may have
been their inhuman solution.

To prevent any of these problems with the new account, I've uploaded only the
kernel of the eSIF, which is everything except the .pdf's. This consumes only
17MB. Also I've decided to completely uncouple my personal portfolio from the
eSIF, and put it on an unrelated free account. The url for my portfolio pages is
http://members.tripodnet.nl/hveluwen/

The new account with N*BCi is esif (should be easy to remember!).
The default url is http://members.nbci.com/esif
but using http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/esif/om-sif.htm instead looks better...

hnz