Re: [OM] Butterfly lens for Olympus OM or Canon EOS

Subject: Re: [OM] Butterfly lens for Olympus OM or Canon EOS
From: Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:50:48 EDT
Hi Ian!
I'm sure others can speak about the Canon system and more about the OM
system, but I would say you should look at the 135mm/4.5 Zuiko macro and
65-116 variable extension tube.  The lens will cost you about $200 to $250 if
you are patient and the extension tube about $150 to $170.  Another
alternative that people rave about on the list is the 90mm/2 Zuiko macro.
This lens focuses to 1:2 at .4 meters (or metres :-).  The 135/4.5, on the
hand, focuses to 1:2 at .6 meters (do I have this right everybody?).  The
advantage of the 90/2 is that it is _fast_ and can be used with available
light easily.  The 135/4.5 with variable extension tube is a little bulkier
and often requires the use of a flash ($300 for a T-28 Twin Flash with
T-Power control).  The drawback of the 90/2, as everyone will tell you, is
the price and rarity.  These lenses can go for as much as $750 (new from B&H
for $1000), but one was offered to the list for the bargain price of $550.  I
recently found one for $400 but have yet to receive it (along with a 18mm/3.5
for $325...and some other goodies at prices that I couldn't pass up).  The
90/2 can also substitute as a great portrait lens and save you from having to
buy the 85/2 and 100/2, and lens tests have shown this lens to be one of the
best 90mm's out there.  But what do I know?  I don't even have the lens yet!
The 135/4.5 is still a first class lens and will focus to infinity on the
variable extension tube.  I have been very pleased with its sharpness and
contrast.  I don't know if the 200mm/4 or 200mm/5 can be used on the variable
extension tube.  Anyone have any luck with this combo?
Oh, and you are probably asking the wrong bunch of blokes for compliments on
the C*n*n system :-)...who was a 8-) until LASIK on Friday!
I hope this helps,
--p.j.