Re: [OM] wanted: scanning lesson 101

Subject: Re: [OM] wanted: scanning lesson 101
From: Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:01:54 +0200

Hi - I'm very interested to follow this discussion as a proud owner of an Acer,
who's had it for a few weeks but not had the luxury of a capable-enough PC to
use it seriously.  The new one should arrive this week!

In the book "Photoshop for Photographers" concerning color balance there is an
interesting suggestion that you photograph a grey card (ideally a Kodak 18 0rey
reference) and then use the dropper tool to sample some pixels on the scanned
image.  The R, G
and B components should all have the SAME numerical value if there is no color
cast - and presumably should equate to 18%.  So by tweaking levels on the color
channels they can be equalized and then by tweaking brightness and contrast the
image can
presumably be 'calibrated' to the gray card.
And then the rest of the photos on the same film should be correct.

Anyone tried this?

best regds
Jez

I'm trying to scan an image with a film scanner (scanwit 2720s). I seem
to have two problems:

a) Colour balance