Re: [OM] Re:Scanning for TOPE Display

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:Scanning for TOPE Display
From: "Andrew Dacey" <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:59:44 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Scales <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2001 2:49 PM

> I'm not Scott, but yes, I've noticed a big difference. If I scan at the
> highest resolution (4000dpi in my case), clean it up and then reduce it,
the
> results are much better than if I just scan at a lower dpi.
>
> A big difference, no, but noticeable.

I definitely agree. Plus, it's worthwhile to archive that higher resolution
scan for future use. Personally, I always scan at the max optical resolution
and perform all my edits at that resolution (with as many done in 36-bit
colour mode as possible) and save that file. Then, whenever I need the image
for some purpose, I always go back to that "original".

For instance, when I was preparing my web graphics, I had originally resized
to the biggest size I wanted, then resized that image to the next size, and
so on. I realised that this might not be a good idea, so I started from
scratch for each image (resizing the "original" to the size I needed for
each file) and I did find a slight increase in quality. I also found that
there was a slight change in the pixel dimensions of the image, probably
because of rounding multiple times in the first case.