[OM] Radioactive Zuikos: mostly thorium decay chain

Subject: [OM] Radioactive Zuikos: mostly thorium decay chain
From: Rainer Wagner <Rainer.Wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 16:05:55 +0200
Hi Zuikists,
I just did a gamma spectrum on germanium spectrometer of my silver nose 50/1,4,
serial number 142604. It had a count rate of around 220 per second(!) , measured
with a sensitive contamination detector in my lab. The first very rough estimate
shows emission of lead -212 and some other gamma lines. Lead 212 points to
Thorium
232 as the source of the decay chain. perhaps some Uranium 238 as well, but that
needs more elaborate analysis of the spectrum. so, even one or two alpha
particles
from the surface are possible, but I dont think the whole thing is a radiation
risk.. I will not sell it!

Rainer

--
Dr. Rainer Wagner