Re: [OM] A nasty surprise and a nice one...

Subject: Re: [OM] A nasty surprise and a nice one...
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 16:20:50 +0200
AFAIK all 35-70 zooms share the phenomeneon of barrel distorion on the
short end with the 35-80, the 35-70/3.6 having slighly less distortion
than the others in wide position (my personal opinion). Isn't this
more or less usual, being a necessary compromise when designing a
wide-to-short-tele zoom lens around the 50mm central position?

But I think that he picture Olav made shows a bit of wavelike
distortion too (especially visible on 'ground-level'. I have never
noticed it with my instance of the 35-80.
And although I didn't investigate this scientifically or in depth, I
also suspect the distortion of Olav's lens to be more pronounced than
that of mine...
How do other 35-80 lenses compare?

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.