Re: [OM] Radioactive Zuikos: mostly thorium decay chain

Subject: Re: [OM] Radioactive Zuikos: mostly thorium decay chain
From: Rainer Wagner <Rainer.Wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:39:14 +0200
Hi Dirk and Gary,
The exact type of glass presumably is a well kept secret of Olympus, but I think
they have used a certain amount of thorium oxide in it. By the way, campers use
this as those  little glowing fabric sleeves in gas lamps!.
I guess that the 55/1,2 will give very similar results.
I dont think that there is any health risk from normal use.
If you want to be extremly careful,dont dissolve the front lens and drink the
stuff,  or dont carry the front lens in direct contact with your reproduction
organs 24h a day, 366days/y.....  :-)     ....
(I am a radiochemist, in charge of radiation protection in our lab)

rainer