Re: [OM] Math question to any math majors?

Subject: Re: [OM] Math question to any math majors?
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 22:46:17 -0400
Has to be a typo. I tried dividing the four answers by 3 to see if perhaps the first number in the acres had been truncated. Only B and C return whole numbers. Neither has 46 in the answer though. Numbers are real hard to proofread. Unless one actually does the math it is impossible to tell if the numbers are wrong or right. Not like words. (for those who can use grammar correctly)

Gregg

Tom wrote:
Well, that's what I thought too.  Am I missing something?

Tom
From: "Richard Keefer" <Ric@xxxxxxxxxx>

> 46 acres x 3 sheep per acre = 138
>
> how else would you do it ?

I cannot figure out this math question below, any math
majors out there?
Dr. Williams raises sheep on a 46 - acre lot. He raises
3 sheep per acre. Which is the best estimate of the
number of ship he raises?
A. 458
B. 468
C. 486
D. 521
These are the four answers it gives, I've tried every
which way to figure out and have failed. Any Math majors
out there, that can write out the equation?