Re: [OM] Sick camera - any ideas?

Subject: Re: [OM] Sick camera - any ideas?
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:38:55 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Volkhart Baumgaertner wrote:

> Here are the 2n's symptoms:
> Manual wind lever doesn't move farther than its normal empty way, or a few
> millimeters farther at the most; when you reach the point where it would
> normally engage and turn the wind mechanism, it is impossible to move it any
> further (at least not without forcing it, which I did not want to try).
> Shutter seems not to be cocked: release button can't be depressed,

> Tried again with a winder; it hammers away, but nothing in the camera seems
> to be moving.

Sounds very similar to what happened to my OM-4 on Friday: got to frame
28 (of 36), using a winder, then the usual whirring from the winder but
no mirror movement or film advance, can't advance with the lever or
press the shutter release, just like the end of the film had been
reached early.

Rewinding the film seems to have freed everything up again - tried
running an old, much exposed, never processed film throught it, manually
and by winder, with no trouble.

Try pressing the rewind button and moving the sprockets backwards, you
never know.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |