Re: [OM] Sick camera - any ideas?

Subject: Re: [OM] Sick camera - any ideas?
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 00:12:41 +0200
Yo,

on Mon, 23 Apr 2001 08:48:03 -0400, John Hermanson wrote:

>I'm assuming you took the motor drive off and it's still jammed.

Right.

>   Could be
>sticky latches in the bottom of the camera which would allow the camera to
>overwind. Sticky latches are more often found in 2S and up but it can happen
>in other bods too.
>Could also be that mirror has come unlatched.  Since shutter is cocked
>(pattern showing) shutter is fired by mirror going up.  If mirror slips off
>it's latch, mirror can't be fired and can't be wound again because shutter
>is already wound.

I just had another look at it. While I was looking at the mirror from the
front the body slipped my hand and I inadvertantly touched the lever on the
right of the mirror inside the lens mount (aperture stop-down?). Lo and
behold, the mirror swung up (together with the lever); but then it stayed
there, and it did not fire the shutter. Tried to reset again, but zilch. I
gently pushed the lever back down to see whether it was moving freely, which
it was, and it locked back in place. Can't reproduce the effect - the lever
won't budge any more now. I hope this did not cause any further damage.

>Did you try reset?

You bet - first thing I did, besides trying new batteries.

Well, I guess off to CLA it is - now if only the guys at the private
"Olympus-Service" would answer their phone (I'd like to ship it to you,
John, but at the absolutely insane current Dollar rate I'm afraid that's not
an option). I hope the fact that they gave up their web site doesn't mean
they closed down alltogether.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--