Re: [OM] A confession

Subject: Re: [OM] A confession
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:38:20 +0000
At 08:45 4/23/01, Sam wrote:
"MY NAME IS SAM AND I AM A ZUIKOHOLIC"

That's quite OK, Sam, my name is John and I'm a, ummmmm, Zuikohobbyist. We're here to help you.

First, you must practice denial:
Ignorance is bliss. You can't "fall off the wagon" if you don't get "on the wagon." This prevents failure and the depression it causes.

Second, you must practice creative accounting:
A true Zuikohobbyist _must_ have more than one camera body. Aside from being a backup for those critical photo ops if one is in the shop, it allows keeping chrome film loaded in one for artistic, architectural and landscape use, and portrait film for family photographs in the other. Keeps from wasting a frame of film every time you unload one roll to reload another. A tradeoff study I did regarding my film use showed a cost avoidance of film waste alone that justified a second _and_ a third body (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Third, you must look of opportunities to sieze:
If your "other half" expresses a desire for a photograph of a particular subject material, you must need something to help accomplish her wishes. With all the methods for creating and composing a photograph of nearly any subject there will be at least one you can visualize that requires something you do not have . . . something you would like to have. Find it, buy it, and use it to shoot the image . . . _before_ using it to shoot any images you want it for. Present her with a large print of it with plenty of techno-babble about how your latest acquisition enabled making it . . . that it would have been impossible without it.

-- John

I've just about ridden the "....but you've already got a camera. Why do you
need another one?" (does anyone have a good answer to this that doesn't end
up sounding like a lame excuse for buying a new toy, and would make a
non-photographer spouse say "That's a good idea, how cleaver you are to have
thought of that" ?) and will now need a T32 to make full use of the exposure
features, and of course a bounce grip so I don't get red-eye. My camera bag
now unfortunately isn't big enough, and the next size up will have a lot of
empty pockets that will need filling.......

HHHhhhhhhheeeeeelllllpppppp.........

Regards,

Sam