Re: [OM] OTF Flash, OM-2S vs OM-4

Subject: Re: [OM] OTF Flash, OM-2S vs OM-4
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:05:12 -0500

Ken Norton wrote:

> I'm in the midst of photographing a convention this
> week, and I'm using my "NEW" OM-4 with the Vivitar
> 5200.  What I'm noticing is that when the camera is in
> auto mode, that the flash will fire (at low level)
> even when the ambient reading is giving me 1/30-1/60.
>
> My OM-2S hasn't been firing the flash unless the
> ambient reading is 1/15 or slower.  Is my OM-2S
> mis-controlling the flash? The two bodies are
> definitely handling OTF flash differently.
>
> Ken N.

If your flash is _not_ Olympus-dedicated (doesn't light the ready light
in the finder of the camera, etc.), you should be using both cameras in
Manual mode at 1/60th second or longer.  If the flash _is_
Olympus-dedicated, the OM-4/4T and OM-2s should not fire a flash in Auto
(or Program) mode until the indicator in the viewfinder is at "60" or
lower -- if the "bar" is above "60", they will not fire a flash.

Using a non-dedicated flash in Auto (or Program) mode will be very
unpredictable -- you're on your own!