Re: [OM] Zuiko 20mm f3.5 MACRO problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 20mm f3.5 MACRO problem
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:14:31 -0500

Oben Candemir wrote:

> In regards to aperture rings, my 50mm f3.5 Macro has a strange symptom...
>
> When the lens is focussed at infinity the aperture goes both ways ie towards
> 3.5 and 22 with equal ease. however when extended out and focussed at .23m
> it has the strange symptom of going towards 22 easily but having definite
> resistance going back to f3.5.
>
> Is this normal? Or does my lens need the grease job too?

I suspect what you're feeling it the difference between turning the aperture
ring _with_ the tension of the return spring on the coupling ring in the camera,
and _against_ it.  It's not remarkable for it to be more noticable with the lens
fully extended than at infinity -- just don't ask me to explain why! (It has to
do with leverage, mechanical advantage, and that kind of stuff....)