Re: RE: Re: [OM] Suggestions for interiors

Subject: Re: RE: Re: [OM] Suggestions for interiors
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:50:18 -0700
Joel wrote:

 What's a keystone and how does it come to be applied to this kind of
 distortion?

A keystone is a piece of cut masonary used as the top piece in a stone (brick)
arch as found in window openings, door openings, bridges etc. I guess it's called
a "keystone" because without it the whole structure collapses.  It is a stone
shaped such that it is tapered.

...Wayne

The way we use language is ironic sometimes. All the keystones I have seen are wider at the top which allows them to wedge into place in the arch. You would have to be above the building shooting downward at an angle for its shape to resemble a keystone. Perhaps the comparison to the keystone is before it is put into the arch. On the ground it would naturally stand in a stable manner when it was upside down.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California