Re: [OM] Suggestions for interiors

Subject: Re: [OM] Suggestions for interiors
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:55:24 -0700
Interesting distinction Andrew, but it is wrong. In most countries (including
the US) copyright violations are defined as the theft of intellectual property.
It really is theft. Theft is taking something from someone without permission.
It has little to do with their ability to still use it. Intellectual and
artistic properties are somewhat different from physical property, which is why
we have copyright laws. Identity theft is a similar thing, when you steal
someone's identity, they can still use it, but it is THEFT and is, in fact a
felony in most places which is taken very seriously.
I am continually amazed at the false logic of folks that maintain something is
overpriced if THEY cannot afford it, and by extension that they have the right
to obtain it illegally. Do not make the mistake of assuming because copyright
LAW is difficult to enforce, that it does not exist. Do not make the mistake of
assuming it is not truly theft.
While there is a tendency to look the other way when individuals steal software
for their own personal use, there are  folks who have copied and re-sold
software who have had to pay large fines or even done jail time. Illegally
copying software is indeed theft, to say nothing of just plain wrong.

Jim Couch