Re: [OM] Was suggestions for interiors. Now basic ethics

Subject: Re: [OM] Was suggestions for interiors. Now basic ethics
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:48:45 +0100
Well, this is a concise exposition of the capitalist view of the
situation.  I take a somewhat different viewpoint.

Software prices clearly are based on what the consumer will pay, and
only partly on development and production costs.  Compare three pieces
of software which can be used to do much the same thing - registering
images - RegiStar ($149), Picture Window ($49) and PanoTools (free).
Could move off the off-topic topic here with a discussion about
merits/otherwise of open source software, but won't.  You're not
rewarding skill and talent by paying $500 for photoshop - you're pouring
money into the bank account of the grinning chief executive.

Society makes most of the decisions about your level of life, in global,
national and local terms.  The wages you earn do not reflect your value
to society and are not the result of your decisions alone.  If you think
that a company executive should earn ten times as much as a junior
doctor, or that an accountant should earn much more than a teacher, I
think you have a hard time justifying that stance.  If you think that
people in prison and on the streets have only themselves to blame for
their plight, ask yourself why ethnic minorities, people who have been
through the care system, people who have served in the armed forces,
people with mental problems are all vastly over-represented in these two
predicaments.

On a global level, the capitalist governments conspire to keep most of
the world poor so that the capitalist system will survive.  Look at
American interventions in Chile, Nicaragua, Guatemala, and much of Latin
America.  Look at the British government's support of the drug companies
and their refusal to sell AIDS drugs cheaply to sub-Saharan Africa.

We on this list are educated, literate, and have access to computers and
the internet.  This puts us well up in the most fortunate 10f
humanity.  We're debating whether to spend $500 on computer software
when half the world lives on less than $1 a day.  We all have a
responsibilty and I would say an obligation to make the world a better
place for everyone.  Sitting back and congratulating ourselves on the
'decisions' that have led to us being so well off is not the way to do
this.

So what am I saying?  Buy the software if you want to - just don't be
under the impression that you're rewarding talent and entrepreneurship
rather than paying $300 straight into the director's annual bonus.  Rip
the software off if you want to - but put a few pounds into the next
charity tin you see.

Chuck, I bet you can't believe what happened to your quite innocuous
original post.  Good luck with the architectural photography if you take
it up.

Roger