RE: [OM] Filter threads

Subject: RE: [OM] Filter threads
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 22:29:57 -0700
Thanks for the explanation, Andrew!

---
Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: andrew fildes [mailto:afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2001 22:19
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No he isn't and it can be bloody confusing. Common pitch size is usually
0.5mm or 0.75mm. Leica/B+W 39mm filters are not - they are designated 39E
and that's a much coarser pitch - maybe 1mm. So are Nikon 39mm filters for
back carriers in big lenses (I've got a Nikon 39mm NC on one leica lens -
screws in perfectly but I'll have to hand-make a hood!). I also bought a
Tiffen 39mm red that turned out to be very fine pitch.
B+W says in their catalogue that if two thread pitches are common for one
size (not the case with 39mm) then the finer one is designated E and the
coarser ES - a 49E would have an 0.5mm pitch and a 49ES a 0.75mm pitch.
5mm or 5.5mm is confusing! He's obviously iggerant. The only 5.5 is a
series number - series 5.5 filters are about 36mm and have no threads at
all as they go in a special holder.
This also causes a problem with 'T' mount and M42 mount - they look the
same but one is 0.75mm pitch and the other 1mm. They start but bind up
solid if you try to screw them together. (Go on, ask me how I know!)
AndrewF
(Anyone know where I can get a 39E hood?)