Re: [OM] [OT] blocking one persons post possible w/ oly. digest?

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] blocking one persons post possible w/ oly. digest?
From: "Mickey Trageser" <mickeytr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:52:31 -0400
Perhaps it isn't clear what the oly *digest* is....  Subscribing to the Oly
'list' provides individual emails of each posting, which can be individually
screened as desired. BUT- the oly *digest* subscriber gets a composite of
many messages in one single message. Typical mailer software (like Outlook
Express) will screen on the sender or subject of the digest distribution,
not the individual messages it contains. The mailers do not see the contents
of the digest distribution as many emails, but one email with a long string
of text. The digest does not send all the header data for each message that
is used by servers and email programs to handle the messages. It just sends
in text form, that which is of use to you, the human reader.

So, if you want to screen/filter incoming oly list distros to block certain
senders, you'll need to 'unsubskribe' from the digest, and 'subskribe' to
the list. Then you can apply the filtering and filing suggestions made in
earlier posts.

I used to 'subskribe' to the digest, but I felt it was too difficult to
read. I now 'subskribe' to the list and use my mailer s/w to file the [OM]
messages into a folder called OM-list. I also have the messages from the
[OM-Book] going into a separate folder called OM-Book. All others go to a
folder with my name. I could add more filters to send messages originated by
certain individuals, or from certain domains or with subjects with certain
words directly to the deleted folder. As yet, I've found that uneccessary.
It's relatively easy to screen the individual messages and delete when I've
read enough to know I don't want it.

One of my pet peeves is the way we start a subject thread and continue
replying with the same subject even after it has long morphed into a
different discussion.

Another of my pet peeves happens also to be one of the strengths of the
group, which sometimes takes us down some strange paths. We are blessed with
DIVERSITY. Many sources of knowledge, many informed opinions, and many
sincere and thoughtful members who bring much enlightenment to the others.
It's a wonderful community. We've experienced many occasions where we have
had to endure long periods of OT discussions, like the SUV stuff and others.
We hear tongue in cheek references to them, but we don't go back and linger.
The software piracy subject seems to blow up on a regular basis. Personally,
I think we've covered all we can on the subject. We're left with nothing
useful, just hurt feelings and a terrible waste of time for hundreds of
readers. Let's just leave it alone, and hopefully, we can all go back to
making photographs and share our successes and seek help for our troubles.

Mickey