Re: [OM] OM4 Viewfinder weirdness

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4 Viewfinder weirdness
From: Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 23:37:02 EDT
Jim wrote:
<<<I now find it difficult to see the green flash indicator square - and I
don't notice it flashing at all.  Also, the shutter speed indicator seems to
have missing dashes.  It make look something like this:>>>

There is something about this in the FAQ.  Go here:
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html#ques_B5

It says:
"Every other bar on the bargraph on my OM-{2S, 4(T)} doesn't work. Can I fix
this myself?
    Yes.  It happens when the microcontroller gets into a confused state,
possibly due to a heavy load on a weak battery.     (The battery then
recovers when the load is taken away).  Reboot your camera as follows: Switch
meter to Manual.  Switch shutter to B.  Toggle meter between Manual and Auto
a few times, then back to Manual.  Then switch shutter back to an automatic
speed.  Also check the batteries and clean their contacts.  If you replace
them, note that SR44 (#357) is best, SR44P (MS76) is second best, and LR44
(MS76A) (alkaline) should be used only if the others aren't available.  SR44
is often marketed as a calculator battery; it's a low-internal-resistance
version of the SR44P.
Thanks to Michael A. Covington"

FWIW, sound like you have a set of bad batteries.

HTH,
--p.j.