[OM] Similarity.

Subject: [OM] Similarity.
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 15:23:20 -0700
>Another of my pet peeves happens also to be one of the strengths of the
>group, which sometimes takes us down some strange paths. We are blessed with
>DIVERSITY. Many sources of knowledge, many informed opinions, and many
>sincere and thoughtful members who bring much enlightenment to the others.
>It's a wonderful community. We've experienced many occasions where we have
>had to endure long periods of OT discussions, like the SUV stuff and others.
>We hear tongue in cheek references to them, but we don't go back and linger.
>The software piracy subject seems to blow up on a regular basis. Personally,
>I think we've covered all we can on the subject. We're left with nothing
>useful, just hurt feelings and a terrible waste of time for hundreds of
>readers. Let's just leave it alone, and hopefully, we can all go back to
>making photographs and share our successes and seek help for our troubles.
>
>Mickey

A good point made by Mickey. Since I study diversity as an academic
topic, I'd simply add that what this list is truly blessed with is
*similarity*. That is, similarity of interest in the topic of Olympus
cameras and gear and techniques. Our diversity causes both the good
(diverse knowledge, multiple perspectives) and the bad (occasional
politically-, morally-, socially-, religiously-, and sometimes
nationally-tinged outbreaks), but they don't last long as we refocus on
what we have in *common* rather than what we don't. In creating stable
group structures, research shows (to the horror of the politically
correct) that one almost always wants to have similarity in abundance, in
order to stabilize the entropic effects of diversity. So let's hear it
for our mutual interest in the great OM (and Pen, and E-10, and so on).