Re: [OM] How to start teaching a 9-year-old photography

Subject: Re: [OM] How to start teaching a 9-year-old photography
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 19:47:40 -0500
Volkhart,

I can speak (or type) from recent personal experience, so I'll jump in with
some thoughts. Hopefully everyone else will too, as I'd love other ideas.

I started out very simple. I mounted a 50/1.8 on an OM-G, set it for
automatic at a reasonable middle aperture (400 speed film) , focused it at
infinity and taught them only two things:

- How to take a picture
- How to wind it

So, that meant we started with landscapes, distance shots, mostly by walking
around the neighborhood.

That lasted a roll or two.

Next I showed them how to focus. They didn't get that one very well, so the
number of in focus shots was pretty low, but improved over time. My oldest
got it more quickly, so her 'good shots' outnumber her 'bad shots'.  We went
for a nice walk in the woods that included waterfalls and an old family
cemetary.  They loved the cemetary (what does that say about how I am
raising my kids).

Next we tried a macro lens. Didn't require any new skills, just more
accurate focusing. I took them to the botanical gardens. Again, my oldest
really got it and seems to be learning and understanding composition on her
own.  One of the hardest things was to not tell them what to take pictures
of, or to second guess their choice of shots.  I wanted to, badly, but
didn't. Film is cheap -- learning by yourself is priceless.  Shannon's
flower shots are great -- I'll get both their shots on the web as soon as
the scanner gets back.

The last trip, I introduced the concept of focal lengths.  They both had a
35-70/3.5-4.5 mounted on their (identical) OM-G bodies.  Zooming seemed to
come pretty naturally, although we haven't seen the results yet.  This trip
was to our zoo, or what they laughingly call a zoo in Austin.

Our next step, and it is a big one, is to learn about apertures and shutter
speeds. That's going to involve more sitting down and talking than any of
the other things have.  I think they'll get it.  Will they understand how to
apply it? Maybe not yet.  I may actually give them OM-1 bodies for this
lesson.

Hope that helps. I can assure you that it will be a lot of fun and a little
frustrating.  Load you camera(s) with lots of film and get out their and
shoot. Make sure you give them reasonably fast print film, as it masks so
many of their mistakes.

Tom

<snip>
Now, what I still haven't quite figured out is - how do I get started
teaching him how to use the camera? I'd like for him to eventually
understand how things work and what he's doing, but I'm unsure about how
much and what to tell him for starters, without confusing him by simply
asking too much of a 9-year-old child. I'd be grateful for any suggestions
as to the appropriate steps to split the teaching/learning process up into.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart