Re: [OM] How to start teaching a 9-year-old photography

Subject: Re: [OM] How to start teaching a 9-year-old photography
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 20:12:51 +0000
At 00:47 4/30/01, Tom Scales wrote:
Our next step, and it is a big one, is to learn about apertures and shutter
speeds. That's going to involve more sitting down and talking than any of
the other things have.  I think they'll get it.  Will they understand how to
apply it? Maybe not yet.  I may actually give them OM-1 bodies for this
lesson.

Memory is fading but I believe I was about 11 when my dad took me out with an old Kodak 620 folding camera and Plus-X . . . or maybe it was Tri-X. It's what I cut my photo teeth on. We processed the negatives in our garage and made contact prints.

What finally clicked about shutter speed and aperture was an analogy he used with a water pipe (aperture), spigot (shutter), and a water glass (the film). The object was to fill the glass exactly full with water . . . a proper exposure. A larger glass was slower film; a smaller glass was faster film. The bigger the pipe, the more water flowed and the faster the glass filled (wider aperture). A smaller pipe meant the spigot had to be on for a long time (smaller aperture). The length of time the spigot was open was the shutter speed. Fill the glass exactly and you get a proper exposure.

Don't think it all sank in for a while, but when I was finally ready for it remembering such a dramamtic analogy helped greatly. Then came the "sunny 16 rule" with how to adjust it for other conditions, and finally (much later) some "lessons" on DOF control.

-- John