Re: [OM] How to start teaching a 9-year-old photography

Subject: Re: [OM] How to start teaching a 9-year-old photography
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 06:43:26 -0500
I'd like to reinforce Hilary's great thoughts.  We don't do a camera safari
every weekend, in fact they are usually 3-4 weeks apart. I do that
intentionally, as I want them asking for another one. If we did it every
weekend, they'd quickly get bored.

Tom

<snip>
    However one essential I learnt from 15 years of teaching in the 70s and
80s was not to pressurise kids into doing anything, just be there as a
resource on which they can  draw, gently and positively encouraging them
whilst fostering a self-critical attitude. They will all go through spurts
of enthusiasm for taking pictures and at other times won't be so interested;
accept this as a part of growing up and of life.

Hilary Stone